So when I open up this window to calculate VMG, there appear to be two sets of results. The topmost says 'Best course/speed' and then below it a window with a scroll bar that says optimum road. and gives a slightly different set of numbers along with a whole bunch of other info. It seems like in the main VLDM page when you hit 'best vmg' it follows the first set of results. I'm wondering what the difference is between these? Does it have to do with ortho and loxo courses or something? It is odd, because sometimes the bottom set of results will say that the best VMG is made by heading straight to your mark, while the first set, will have you jibing to your mark.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Many THanks,

-Czo

So when I open up this window to calculate VMG, there appear to be two sets of results. The topmost says 'Best course/speed' and then below it a window with a scroll bar that says optimum road. and gives a slightly different set of numbers along with a whole bunch of other info. It seems like in the main VLDM page when you hit 'best vmg' it follows the first set of results. I'm wondering what the difference is between these? Does it have to do with ortho and loxo courses or something? It is odd, because sometimes the bottom set of results will say that the best VMG is made by heading straight to your mark, while the first set, will have you jibing to your mark.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Many THanks,

-Czo

Difference between BEST VMG and optimum Road: optimum road take in account the fact that sooner or later you will have to "Tack" or "Gybe" to reach your WP.

Optimum road could be = to direct road (but this happens not very often methink)

Bunch of other info: VMG towards your WP for each heading degree by degree.

I remain a bit confused. Right now the optimum road one is saying that I should stay on one gybe all the way to my mark, and that the time for that and the direct road are the same....

but the best course/speed window says I should take a course that is 9 degrees different, and lists that course as making better VMG. I'd think if the direct road and the optimum road had the same times, and the optimum road had you spending 100% of your time on one gybe, that no other course could be faster... and taking into account whether you have to gybe wouldn't matter, because you don't have to. But I'm a complete amateur at this virtual sailing thing, and not much better at real sailing, so I'm probably just missing something. I guess it doesn't matter to much anyways since the best vmg autopilot always follows the calculations from the 'best course/speed' window.

Thanks!

- Czo

I remain a bit confused. Right now the optimum road one is saying that I should stay on one gybe all the way to my mark, and that the time for that and the direct road are the same....

Follow that one ! It's the best road to your waypoint :censure:

but the best course/speed window says I should take a course that is 9 degrees different, and lists that course as making better VMG.

That one is the best track crossing a straight line containing your waypoint with a 90° angle, then you still have to go towards it !

I'd think if the direct road and the optimum road had the same times, and the optimum road had you spending 100% of your time on one gybe, that no other course could be faster... and taking into account whether you have to gybe wouldn't matter, because you don't have to. But I'm a complete amateur at this virtual sailing thing, and not much better at real sailing, so I'm probably just missing something. I guess it doesn't matter to much anyways since the best vmg autopilot always follows the calculations from the 'best course/speed' window.

Thanks!

- Czo

Have a nice race. :ff:

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.