Sign in to follow this  
czolgosz

Can't cross vendee finish!

Hey folks,

I'm kinda pissed off. I've spent months on the vendee globe race, worked my position from close to 800 to well under 200, just to lose it all at the finish. I've lost over 200 place trying to make the finish line. I've missed it a half dozen times, usually ending up grounding. My set waypoints aren't working properly, with my boat stopping and turning off course before hitting the waypoints! I've tried to cross the finish line with a set course and that hasn't worked either! I'm getting the impression that the waypoint and course systems aren't accurate enough for such a small finish line, because I'll have a waypoint that shows up on the map as a point just over the finish, and my point will turn and go off course before it makes it to the waypoint. I'm kinda pissed off. It's just a game, but I can't seem to cross the finish no matter how I try. I figure I'm not a total idiot seeing as how I did pretty good over the course of the race... but the game seems to have gone all screwy on me. Anyone else having such problems? Any ideas?

thanks

Czo

Thats strange ,

I've crossed the line last week at 4AM on WP setting.

Some have used the set course.

It is true that this line was quite small, but normally in such case we would advise two solutions.

1> The easiest one is to sail at fixed course, using the forecast line to ensure that you will effectively cross the line.

You can zoom on the line by using the option : Navigation Map > Centerred on > WayPoint

Adjust your course to have the forcast line passing through the finish

2> The second option is to place a way point slightly behind the line

But indeed be carefull : the game engin will calculate if the waypoint is to be reached during the next vacation.

I which case it switches to the next WP and could get you to miss the line in some specific cases.

To avoid this, you should save the coordinate of your WP and fill the little box @WPH , which represent the heading that your boat will follow once the way point is reached. (At Way Point > Heading)

Personally to cross the VDG finish, I've used this latter solution : a WP in the middle of the line and a @WPH set on 90° to ensure line crossing.

This said, I'm sure your case can be checked by the race commity and the problem corrected

Can you give your boat nb and your estimated time of arrival ?

Miaou ;)

Edited by Le_Chat

That's what I've been doing, setting a waypoint just west of the line and setting the course at waypoint to 90 degrees. Well, I've tried that a couple times, among other things. This last time I just plain missed the line, but a couple times my boat seems to have just turned onto a random course short of my waypoint. I've got it set up to go to a waypoint just west of the line again, and then go to a course of 90 degrees, so we'll see if it works this time. Unfortunately, I'm off to work soon so I probably won't be here to keep an eye on it. I'll keep trying, eventually dumb luck should get my across it if nothing else!

Thanks!

-Czo

n° 8675 / "The Office"

PS: Totally scared to put my boat name/number up, because this could be my screw up, I'm new to the game. ;)

Hello Czolgosz,

When (if) you've got a problem you should use the "SOS" buoy on the control panel to send a message to Race Committee ;)

The system consider a WP as "reached" when it's within the distance covered during a crank ... i.e. boat speed = 15 knts > distance = 15/12= 1.25 NM thus WP is considered as reached when boat is closer than 1.25 NM from WP!

Best VMG is fine in the middle of the ocean :jab: but for crossing the finish line one should use fixed heading or ortho pilot to a WP just behind the finish line.

Boat heading is very accurate > 0.1°

After the 5th Stop&Go of 3hours you should have set a fixed heading of 163.5° and your boat would have passed the line without any problem.

Fair Wind.

Some pics of your attempts to cross the line :cake:

vlm_8675_02.png

vlm_8675_01.png

post-11-1232541244_thumb.png

post-11-1232541259_thumb.png

Hello Czolgosz,

How to know which heading should be followed to cross the line without using the compass ... (very accurate :jab: )

Open the VMG for VLM window (using the "go" button on your control panel)

Fill in the coordinates of the northern buoy of the line as WP1 and the coordinates of southern buoy as WP2. Clic on "validate".

You will see the loxo heading for both buoys ... choose a heading between those 2 and set it as fixed heading ... you boat will cross the line without any doubt :cake: (if the wind is blowing from that direction it could take a while before you cross the line ;) )

PS: I saw that you're using an "estime" of 1.000 NM ... use a shorter estime 'cause there is a small bug when using a long estime, it's trace on the map is wrong! (this bug will be corrected in next version of VLM) I've reduced it to 50 NM.

I'll keep an eye on your boat 'cause passing a 0.8 NM width door sailing a parallel course at 11 knts (0.9 NM per crank) towards a WP (with @WPH 90) in the middle of the door is NOT easy ( it's almost impossible) ;)

I've changed the heading from 90° to 45° ;)

vlm_8675_03.png

vlm_8675_04.png

vlm_8675_05.png

post-11-1232548165_thumb.png

post-11-1232548375_thumb.png

post-11-1232548416_thumb.png

Very interesting Phille (especially the trick of entering the two buoys in the VMG4VLM table and reading the heading).

I ran exactly in the same question when I finished last week (since this was my first night finish).

If you agree, I might write somethink in the Wiki along the lines of your advice.

Btw, reg. czo, can he can the race commity with the SOS button once the race is over ?

I Think, we should do something for him :jab:

Miaou ;)

Very interesting Phille (especially the trick of entering the two buoys in the VMG4VLM table and reading the heading).

I ran exactly in the same question when I finished last week (since this was my first night finish).

If you agree, I might write somethink in the Wiki along the lines of your advice.

Miaou ;)

no prob at all :jab:

(1) Btw, reg. czo, can he can the race commity with the SOS button once the race is over ?

(2) I Think, we should do something for him :jab:

Miaou ;)

(1) is this chinese ?

(2) what do you propose ?

Sorry typo. error ;)

Would propose to contact race commity (guess you know them ?), to get his 1st attempt validated.

Miazhou :jab:

Sorry typo. error :jab:

Would propose to contact race commity (guess you know them ?), to get his 1st attempt validated.

Miazhou :cake:

I know them vaguely ... but they won't change a result even if the system failed ... they call that " Fortune de mer" (Perils of the sea) ;)

Thanks so much!

I finally made it while at work today! Thanks for putting up the horror of my finish attempts for all to see! ;)

I'm not too concerned about my placing really, I'm a newb, I'd done pretty well (in my book) up till the finish, so that's ok with me. The frustrating thing was just not knowing what was going wrong/what I was doing wrong. Next time I know. It might be good to put some of the info about the margins of error with 'best vmg' in the FAQ.

I probably would have been across the line much quicker, cause I was trying to do it with the ortho pilot after having problems with the best vmg pilot, but I've been so busy with work that a couple times I set courses planning to go change my course in a half hour or whatever and wasn't able to get back to the computer, that's why I kept trying with the best VMG pilot.

Thanks again everyone,

Happy sailing,

Czo

Thanks so much!

Czo

Hello,

You are not alone with those "reached but not really waypoints". We will try to make the system better for a future release.

François,

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.