VLM Ocean Race 2023

hello there... joining the ocean race, and i was wondering. I used to play on another sailsim ( SOL ) , and used qtvlm as a router. Now i'm in the VLM mode on qtvlm, and i was wonder how do i active the route, as in basically let the boat follow the route i made.. 

I am also new to the VLM game mode in QTvlm..so any tips concerning the setting would be handy.  

So, are these settings below the right one to follow the route?

thxs

Schermafbeelding 2023-01-15 194906.jpg

Edited by DIKKEHNK
Il y a 2 heures, DIKKEHNK a dit :

hello there... joining the ocean race, and i was wondering. I used to play on another sailsim ( SOL ) , and used qtvlm as a router. Now i'm in the VLM mode on qtvlm, and i was wonder how do i active the route, as in basically let the boat follow the route i made.. 

I am also new to the VLM game mode in QTvlm..so any tips concerning the setting would be handy.  

So, are these settings below the right one to follow the route?

thxs

Schermafbeelding 2023-01-15 194906.jpg

Welcome to La Taverne @DIKKEHNK,

What you have on the screenshot is the dashboard, it allows you to pilot the boat and you can program the VLM autpilot fro there manually, but it's not easy.

If you have a route in qtVlm, the best way to send it (or part of it at least) to the VLM autopilot, is to edit the route :

right click on the route,

- select "Edit route" in the contextual menu)

- go to the "Autopilot" tab and click on the "Send orders" button.

It sets the boat on course towards the first WP of the route (WP-VLM) and 5 additional orders are sent to VLM and its autopilot (which we call pilototo in French). This will allow the boat to follow the route on VLM along its 6 first waypoints, as long as the navigation mode is VBVMG, VMG or Ortho. If the navigation mode is VBVMG, make sure that the checkbox for "VLM formula for VB-VMG" is checked, otherwise there may be slight differences between the route on qtVlm and the route the boat will follow in VLM.

Hope that helps.

hi there...thxs!  Yes, got it all working, including the autopilot part. That is very handy when working and no access to the pc. I did not expect it to even  gybe and tack in a proper way, but hey ho, it is a true Pilototo :)  .

was busy for a few hours to look for a boat icon, since it is now just a red dot, but hey..details . Got the flags working though..

txs, best, Dikke

another simple question. To see the boat moving, do you need to do F5? since if i let Qtvlm do it, it only does it every hour  or so..

To 'activate' a route, one does only need to 'store it to the server" in the right click-on-route? Since that is a bit vague..

Is it possible to get a boat icon on the red dots ?

Thxs! Dikke, gaining pos @45

il y a 5 minutes, DIKKEHNK a dit :

another simple question. To see the boat moving, do you need to do F5? since if i let Qtvlm do it, it only does it every hour  or so..

Yes, F5 syncs the boat position from VLM to qtVlm. This is not done automatically.

il y a 5 minutes, DIKKEHNK a dit :

To 'activate' a route, one does only need to 'store it to the server" in the right click-on-route? Since that is a bit vague..

"store it to the server" just does that : storing the route somewhere in the server, which allows you to retrieve it later from another device for example. It does not "activate" the route nor sends orders to the autopilot.

il y a 7 minutes, DIKKEHNK a dit :

Is it possible to get a boat icon on the red dots ?

To my knowledge, no. But you can display the "flags" instead. 

thxs! About activating a route, just a single route. I simpy noticed that it is activated as soon as you send it to the server, but not with the arrows icon on top, but only with the right click -on-route option.

The confusion here is that i used Qtvlm a zillion times, but this is the first time in VLM mode...and in the 'normal"no game  mode you have the option, activate route. That might be the confusion on my side.

Savoir qui on a croisé ( ou pas croisé ...) , ça peux se faire avec le replay de la manche 2 à télécharger ici . (fichier kmz pour google earth)

J'ai réussi à faire les traces depuis le départ de la manche, les nom de bateaux sont n'ont que 4 lettres, sinon ça fout un sacré b... à l'affichage. 

En cliquant sur un bateau on a son nom en entier .

Les traces ont été lissées, un point toutes les demi-heure, car sinon ça ferait un trop gros fichier.

Bon replay ... leg2.jpg

VLM Ocean Race leg 2.kmz

• Like 1